CODE OF CONDUCT
The Directors and management of Eng Kah Corporation Berhad and its Group of Companies (the “Group”) are committed adhering to the best practice in corporate governance and observing the highest standards of integrity as well as behavior in all business activities conducted by the Group, including the interaction with its customers, suppliers, shareholders, employees and business associates, and within the community and environment in which the Group operates.
All the employees of the Group play an important role in establishing, maintaining and enhancing the reputation, image and brand of the Group and ensuring the compliance with the standards of integrity and behavior that the Group is committed to. It is required that employees display the highest levels of professionalism in all aspects of their work and comply with this Code of Conduct (the “Code”) and all applicable laws, regulations and other policies.
The Code emphasizes on transparency, integrity, accountability and corporate social responsibilities.
The Code is formulated to enhance the standard of corporate governance towards establishing a standard of ethical conduct for directors.
In the performance of his/her duties, directors should at all times observe the following Codes: –
- Should have a clear understanding of the aims and objectives, capabilities and capacity of the Group;
- Should devote time and effort to attend meetings and to know what is required of the board and each of its directors, and to discharge those functions properly;
- Should ensure that the company is properly managed;
- Should stay abreast of the affairs of the company and kept informed of the Group’s compliance with relevant rules and legislations;
- Should insist on being informed on all matters of importance to the Group in order to be effective in corporate management;(1)
- Should limit his/her directorship of companies to a number that he/she can best devote his/her time to carry out duties and responsibilities.;
- Should have access to advices and services of the company secretary, who is responsible to the board to ensure that proper procedures, rules and regulations are complied with;
- Should at all times exercise his/her authority for the benefit and prosperity of the Group;
- Should disclose immediately all contractual interests whether directly or indirectly with the Group;
- Should at all times act with utmost good faith towards the Group in any transactions and to act honestly and responsibly in the exercise of his/her authority in discharging his/her duties; and
- Should be willing to exercise independent judgment and, if necessary, openly oppose if the vital interest of the Group is at stake.
Relationship with Shareholders, Employees, Creditors and Customers
- Should be conscious of the interest of shareholders, employees, creditors and customers of the company;
- Should at all times promote professionalism and competency of management; and
- Should ensure that adequate safety measures are undertaken and provide proper protection to workers and employees at work places.
Social Responsibilities and the Environment
- Should adopt an objective and positive altitude and give the utmost cooperation for the common good when dealing with governmental authorities or regulatory bodies;
- Should ensure effective use of natural resources, and to improve quality of life by promoting corporate social responsibilities;
- Should be more proactive to the needs of the community and to assist in society related programme in line with the aspirations of the concept of “Caring Society”; and
- Should ensure that the activities and the operations of the company do not harm the interest and well-being of the society at large.